After 14 hours of traveling, it was nice to be welcomed with the smell of flowers, fresh Hawaiian air, and people looking like us everywhere....
back to being common
It all started at SFO waiting to board our flight to Honolulu, Naia noticed other kids that looked like her brothers. She went over to them to say hi and just stared at them, as if asking, "are you my brothers too?" Since our arrival here, she's been calling local people, Dad, Papa(for Grandpa), MJ, Nyle and even Julie, my Brazilian friend who can pass as a local Hawaiian. Here, people know I'm Filipino... Nobody will think I'm Korean, Chinese or even Laotian like some people did in MD. Now to work on my pidgin...
the rainbow state
We were welcomed with a nice light rain... and what comes after the rain, a rainbow! The boys were so excited to see one after another, we've seen a rainbow each day since arriving.
the FOOD
Mike and I skipped the airplane meal because we were so excited for all the local food we were about to eat. Dad picked us up at the airport with his boys and treated us to local McDo food: local cheeseburger with extra pickles, local fillet-o-fish, local nuggets and local french fries. Later after checking in, Grandpa wanted to treat his #1 grandson for his birthday, so we had some local ChuckECheese for dinner! So that started our local food binging. YaY!
 |
| loco moco: spam, egg, and rice |
 |
| portuguese sausage, egg, and rice |
 |
| musubi, mandoo, chix rice bowl, and lumpia |
 |
| bbq Pinoy style |
 |
| John's store musubi |
 |
| shaved ice |
And we're not done yet! After their first local plate of spam, egg and rice, my boys declared that that was the best breakfast ever. They've been requesting for musubi for lunch everyday. I get to threaten them with no shave ice if they misbehave and it always works. BTW, I'm not missing my pots and pans yet.
the beach
sigh.. need I say more?
13 comments:
I like how you have white borders on your pictures and your picture comments are in the borders--how do you do it?
You guys crack me up with all your food photos, but I totally understand missing those certain foods. I missed out on the love of spam. I don't hate it- I just don't love it. Maybe I need to go to Hawaii to fully appreciate it. Love all the photos- you guys look so happy. Love & miss you!
I'm going to make you take me to all the places I must eat at. Ok? This is not negotiable. Mel's per diem will pay. Ok?I'll even eat spam. I'll try anything. I can't wait. Will you be my personal guide?
You guys are back home. :) It all looks and sounds so wonderful. Are you living on the base or not? Okay we really need to chat soon. Glad you guys are having such a great time. Talk to you soon.
Yeah, Naika, rub it in some more why don't ya? :) Enjoy the islands for us. We miss you, but I'm guessing you're not missing anyone from the East Coast with all that food and beach in your view! ;)
You guys are like me when I go to Texas. All I do for the first 3 days is eat! You need to find a place to live pronto, I'm trying to get to Travis anytime after the 15th, so you might get a phone call that says "COME GET ME!" :)
I TOTALLY miss the rainbows everyday and the water.... ah, the beautiful, warm water.
Oh Naika...Seeing these pictures really makes me miss Hawaii. Especially Bellows...my favorite place on earth! I am so jealous right now. I am so glad you get to be there with family and enjoy showing your kids the hawaiian culture. We miss you guys tons!
I'm suuuuuure you miss MD... :) I'm thinking that blending in instead of having someone come up to you and start to speak Spanish to you is all in the past!! I am so glad you guys arrived safely ... B promised a Hawaii trip sometime. sigh. Live it up girl!
Eat some more for me! The food looks wonderful and the beaches better. We miss you guys. I'll be at the range thinking of you soon Mike :)
I love Hawaii! It sounds like you are so happy to be back! I am so happy for you!
How much would it cost to overnight us a box of big mandoo, musubi, 1 loco moco, 1 bbq plate, and 2 gallons of POG?!! Ha ha ha. We're so happy for you. The boyz look like they're doing what they're born to do. Hmmm, maybe I could overnight the kids and I over to you? Can FEDEX do that?! :)
Beautiful pictures. I'm so glad you guys are having a good time. I want to come visit just for the food!
Post a Comment